Committee Meeting Summary – 2nd April 2022

Cymdeithas Rheilffordd Llyn Tegid

Bala Lake Railway Society

Summary Report from the Committee Meeting held at 7.30 on 2nd April 2022.


Present: Cathy and Martin Houghton, Peter Miller, Bob Newton, Mat Peacock, Dave Scotson, Francis Stapleton, Nick Talbot, Tim Williams. Apologies received from: Dave Fildes.


The finalised version of the 50th Anniversary Book is due to go to press on 5th April. The official launch will be on Saturday 30th April. Other specific details of the Gala to be held over the May Day long weekend were discussed, including vacancies for volunteers in non-operational roles. There will be a Society stall at the event.

The Membership Secretaries proposed re-introducing Life Membership after many years (with separate rates for seniors and others, which many heritage railways do not offer). The meeting approved the idea in principle. The Secretaries will prepare a detailed proposal which will be discussed by email prior to the next meeting.

The Constitutional Sub-Group has been considering Honorary Memberships, as directed by the 2021 AGM. The committee agreed that these should be for non-members and for life, and recipients should not be allowed to vote or stand for office but should be subject to the same code of conduct as other members. Existing members deserving a similar award could perhaps be given a free upgrade to Life Membership instead (thus keeping full membership rights). Subject to the approval of the 2022 AGM, the committee wishes to have the final say in choosing recipients for such awards.

The Society publicity stand visited the Statfold Barn Penrhyn Gala (19th-20th March) and will be at the Llangollen Garden Railway Festival (14th May), the Crewe Transport Fair (25th June) and the Warley Model Show (26th – 27th November). Volunteers to staff the stall are needed.

The date for the 2022 AGM and Members’ Day was approved: 10th September. The Acting Chairman will discuss the day’s timetable with the Company.

Now that the bathrooms have been completed, the next accommodation area needing major work is the kitchen. A formal plan will be prepared for refurbishment to take place in the Autumn. A major clean will be needed sooner than that: we still need to find an Accommodation Representative.

There is a vacancy for a Vice-Chairman and several for regular committee members. Lines of communication between the committee and the membership need to be improved and the members given easier ways to find out and comment on what the committee is doing. The Llanuwchllyn Express does an excellent job but it is of course quarterly only. Only a minority of members are registered for the online Members’ Area, though this number is steadily rising. Recruiting volunteer help for Society ventures (as distinct from Company-managed volunteering) needs a better system. The Secretary offered to work with the Acting Chairman to develop the Members’ website.

The meeting closed at 21.23. Minutes recorded by Mat Peacock.

Mat P

Society Secretary